Recipe from Coco Oan @cocowantsyoutobyo
Chicken claypot rice, a traditional Chinese one-pot dish that is comforting and flavorful. It was a dish that was not possible for us vegetarians to enjoy until Next Meats’ Next Chicken! Next Chicken is one of the world’s first plant-based chicken that replicates the appearance and texture of chicken thigh chunks and is just as nutritious with 21g protein per 100g serving. It is more fibrous and tender than regular plant-based chicken.
- 250g Next Chicken
- 6-8 shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups rice
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp Shaoxing wine
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 0.5 tsp white pepper
- 0.5 tsp salt
- Chopped spring onions (optional)
- Vegetables (optional)
- Wash 2 cups rice, soak in 2 cups water in claypot for at least an hour.
- Mix 250g Next Chicken (thawed) with marinade ingredients (1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp oyster sauce, 0.5 tsp salt, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 1 tsp Shaoxing wine, 0.5 tsp white pepper, 1 tbsp sesame oil) and marinade for at least half an hour.
- Heat oil in pan, fry 1 shallot (minced) and 1 tbsp minced ginger till fragrant, add marinaded Next Chicken and stir-fry for ~3 min, set aside.
- Soak and slice 6-8 shiitake mushrooms, stir-fry mushrooms with oyster sauce and soy sauce for a quick 1-2min, set aside.
- Heat soaked rice in claypot over medium heat till water starts boiling (with lid on).
- Remove lid and stir rice occasionally until rice absorbs most of the water.
- Lay the Next Chicken and mushrooms out over the rice, cover with lid, turn heat to low and cook for another 5-10 minutes until you start to hear crackling sounds.
- Add local veggies to the top of the rice and put lid back on.
- Spoon 2 tbsp sesame oil all around the edge of the lid so it seep downs into the pot, cook on low for ~2 more minutes (you should hear more crackling but turn off heat if you start smelling the burnt smell).
- Turn off the heat, add sauce (1 tbsp oyster sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp dark soy sauce) and mix, top with chopped spring onions.